Mount Cholatse Expedition
4 to 5 hours of walk per day while trekking.
Cholatse peak also known as Jabo Lhaptshan lies in famous Khumbu region of the Nepalese Himalaya. Cholatse is connected to Taboche (6,501m) by a long ridge. The Chola glacier descends off the east face. The north and east faces of Cholatse can be seen from Dughla, on the trail to Everest base camp. Cholatse was first climbed via the southwest ridge on April 1982 by Bill O’ Connor and three other climber. The north face was successfully scaled in 1984. The first solo ascent was accomplished on April 15, 2005 by Ueli Steck through the north face.
Our 28 day Cholatse peak expedition combines with famous Everest Gokyo trek. Situated in hidden valley of Khumbu, Gokyo valley is arguable the most dramatic and interesting village of Sherpa. Our climb starts with fascinating flight to Lukla then from Namche we take route to Gokyo valley. From Dzongla we head to Cholatse basecamp, summit the peak and head back to Lukla to fly Kathmandu next day.
- DAY 01 – Arrival in Kathmandu
- DAY 02 – Sightseeing trip / trek preparation
- DAY 03 – FLY TO LUKLA (28040) AND TREK TO PHAKDING (2610M) 3 HRS.
- DAY 04 – Phakding to Namche Bazaar (3441m) 5-6 hrs
- DAY 05 – ACCLIMATIZATION DAY
- DAY 06 – Namche Bazaar to Dole (4110m). 6 hrs
- DAY 07 – Dole to Machhermo (4465m). 4-5 hrs
- DAY 08 – Machhermo to Gokyo (4720m). 5-6 hrs
- DAY 09 – Rest day, Option to Hike
- DAY 10 – Gokyo to Thaknak (4750m) 5 – 6 hrs
- DAY 11 – Thaknak to Cho La (5420m) to Dzongla (4830m) 7 – 8 hrs
- DAY 12 – Dzongla to Cholatse Base Camp
- DAY 13-22 – CLIMBING PERIOD FOR CHOLATSE 6440M.
- DAY 23 – Cholatse Base camp to Pangboche (3900m) – 4hrs
- DAY 24- Pangboche to Namche Bazaar
- DAY 25 – Namche Bazzar to Phakding to Lukla: 6 – 7 hrs
- DAY 26 – FLY LUKLA TO KATHMANDU
- DAY 27 – Contingency and rest day Kathmandu
- DAY 28 – Trip ends, Farewell and Departure
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu airport (1345meters).
Our airport representative will be receiving you at Tribhuvan International airport, Kathmandu and will be displaying an Ramdung Expedition signboard outside the airport terminal. You will be then transferred to your respective hotel in our private tourist vehicle. At evening you’ll be accompanied by welcome dinner in typical Nepali restaurant. Hotel
Day 02: Preparation and Briefing for Departure to Everest Region
This day we are busy for briefing about expedition, documentation, last minute shopping and preparation for departure to the trekking and climbing route. We’ll also introduce to our Nepali crew coming with you for expedition. Hotel (B)
Day 03: Fly to Lukla (2,804m) – 35 mins. Trek to Phakding (2,610m) – 3 hrs
An early morning start takes us to the Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu for the 35-minute scenic flight to Tenzing and Hillary Airport at Lukla (2,804m). On arrival at the airport guide will brief you and introduce our porters before we begin our trek towards Phakding (2,610m). After landing we have time to explore the village while our Sherpa crew sort and load our trekking equipment. Then we begin our trek by descending towards the Dudh Kosi River where we join the main trail to Namche Bazaar, located just above Chaunrikharka (2,713m). The walking is easy and after passing through the small village of Ghat (2,550m) it is a short walk to Phakding. Overnight at a guesthouse.BLD
Day 04: Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,441m) – 5.5 hrs
We continue trekking along the banks of the Dudh Kosi, crossing the majestic river many times on exciting suspension bridges laden with prayer flags. After entering the Sagamartha National Park, the trail climbs steeply with breathtaking views. Namche Bazaar (considered the Gateway to Everest) is home to many quality restaurants, hotels, lodges, shops, money exchange services, internet cafes and bakeries. Namche is the biggest town along the Everest trail. Overnight at a guesthouse.BLD
Day 05: Namche Bazaar acclimatization day.
We spend a day in Namche Bazaar in order to acclimatize and adjust to the thinning air. We will trek a short distance to a museum that is celebrated for its exhibits of the traditional customs of the Sherpa people. We also hike up the Syangboche Airport near the Everest View Hotel. From this point, we can see rewarding views of the Himalayas with a stunning sunrise and sunset over the panorama of Khumbu peaks. Overnight at a guesthouse. BLD
Day 06: Trek to Phorste Thanga (3,680m) – 5 hrs.
The trail climbs steeply out of valley through rhododendron forest, juniper and large conifers start to appear as the elevation increases making the trekking very pristine in spring. The trail passes through Yak Kharkas and summer settlements. The views of Khumbi La and Tawache are magnificent throughout the day. Overnight at a guesthouse. BLD
Day 07: Trek to Machherma (4,470m) – 5 hrs
We climb a ridge for an excellent view both down the valley to Kengtega and up towards Cho Oyu and descend to a river and again climbs steep to the terminal moraine of the Ngozumpz glacier. We will reach Machherma by early noon. Overnight at a guesthouse. BLD
Day 08: Trek to Gokyo (4,790m) – 5.5 hrs
The trek today takes us at one of our main destinations, Gokyo (4,790m). We will make this camp our base for 2 nights as we will have couple of sightseeing and hiking trips around Gokyo. Overnight at a guesthouse.BLD
Day 09: Trek to Gokyo Ri (5,483m) and back to Gokyo – 5 hrs
Early in the morning we have a steep climb up to the top of Gokyo Ri at an elevation of 5,483m. There are ample rewards for those who attempt this trip – you get stunning views of the super Gokyo valley, the massive Ngozumpa glacier and an incredible panoramic view of the whole Khumbu Himalayas, including the giants Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse, Makalu, Cho-Oyu and Gychung Kang. This day we have for acclimatization and after noon back to the camp. Overnight at a guesthouse.BLD
Day 10: Trek to Thangna (4,500m) – 4 hrs
Trek to the foot of Cho La pass. Accommodation in Thangna will be very basic and in a dormitory based room because of its remoteness. Overnight stay at a guesthouse. BLD
Day 11: Cross Cho La pass (5,300m) then trek to Dzongla (4,710m) – 7 hrs
We start before sunrise at 4 or 5am to reach the pass by 9 – 10am to dodge bad weather conditions of the noontime. We cross over at an altitude of 5,300m where we could be exposed to strong winds if we crossing too late. We start to climb steeply that is regularly used and easy to follow. However, the problem may arise due to the altitude and snow. It often causes terrible problems to cross the pass if it is covered by snow. As you reach the top, you are rewarded by the magnificent views, then we descend to the Dzongla at noon. Accomodation in Dzongla will be very basic and in dormitory style room because of its remoteness. Overnight at a guesthouse.
Day 12: Trek to Cholatse Base Camp
After having breakfast, we start our trek ultimately to Base Camp of Cholatse peak.
it takes around 7 hours to reach Cholatse Base Camp from Dzongla. Overnight Tented Camp BLD
Day 13-22: Climbing Period for Cholatse 6440m.
We do not provide a day-to-day itinerary for the climb period, as this will be determined by the sherpas and members. You can flexible approach based on what fits most and own experience. Typically, the team will spend a few days at the base camp organizing food, practicing rope skills, and acclimatizing before moving above the base camp.
Summit push normally at the mid night. So that team reached at top early in the morning. Catch breathtaking sunrise and surrounding view then get back to base camp before getting affected by heat. Finally we wish for your success to reach in the summit. Overnight Tented Camp BLD
Day 23: Cholatse Base camp to Pangboche (3900m) – 4hrs
After cleaning up the base camp of Cholatse, we head back to Pangboche village.Overnight at Teahouse BLD
Day 24 : Trek to Namche Bazaar
From Pangboche we retrace our footsteps down to the Imja Khola and up through the forest to Debuche or if interested, we might pay our visit to nuns at the Debuche monastery. Upon having lunch at Tengboche, we continuing through the hillside blanketed by rhododendron and juniper trees. After crossing the prayer flag festooned bridge over the Dudh Koshi River, trail then follows the Dudh Koshi gorge descending rapidly through the pine forests. The path eventually reaches Sansa. We keep a lookout for wild life such as mountain goats, snow leopards, colorful pheasants, etc., while passing through the forest. After passing a Chorten, we reach the army camp at of Namche Bazaar. Overnight at Teahouse BLD
Day 25: Trek to Lukla
Today is your last day for Trek and expedition campaign (7hrs) from Namche Bazaar to Lukla (2840m). Overnight at Tea house BLD
Day 26: Fly Back to Kathmandu.
Today you fly from Lukla to Kathmandu same about 35 minute and we transfer to your booked Hotel. Hotel (B)
Day 27 : Rest and shopping day
Today you’ll have free in Kathmandu. You can have sightseeing in the cultural heritage inside Kathmandu, buy souveniers and thankas to take back home or anything as the day is free and easy. At evening we’ll host farewell-Celebration dinner with local typical cultural experience in Restaurant adjoining our crew that were in the expedition time with you. Hotel (BD)
Day 28 : Transfer for Final Departure
The journey within the mountains of Nepal comes to an end today. At last approximately 3 hours before our scheduled flight, a representative from Ramdung Expedition escorts you to the airport. Farewell…(B)
- All airport/hotel/airport transfers
- 4 nights hotel (3 star) in Kathmandu, bb plan
- Cholatse peak permit, Sagarmatha National park and necessary permit fee.
- Scheduled flight : Kathmandu/Lukla/Kathmandu
- 35 Kg cargo from Kathmandu/lukla per climber
- Necessary porters and mules for carrying equipment & loads
- Twin sharing accommodation in lodge/teahouse while trekking
- 3 times meals per day, teas & coffees in trekking & base camp days
- Common climbing equipment’s like necessary rope, ice bars, ice screws etc
- 1 tent per climber of North face or similar for Base Camp
- Dining, Kitchen, mattress and all camping facilities needed in BC
- Experienced and professional staff at BC : Base camp manager, cook, kitchen boy
- Government liaisons officer
- Equipment allowance, wages, life, medical & life, medical & rescue insurance for all Nepali members.
- Immediate Rescue co-ordination (covered by your travel insurance)
- Generator or solar panel for charging & lighting in Base camp
- International flight ticket, taxes and visas
- Lunch & dinner, hotel after 4 nights in Kathmandu
- Personal trekking & climbing equipment
- Excess personal climber baggage transport Ktm-lua-BC $ 9 per kg one way.
- All expenses of personal nature like bar bills, laundry, telephone etc.
- Insurance for travel, accident, medical, emergency evacuation & lost baggage.-
- Applicable permit fee & custom fee for SAT phone, filming camera, communications – equipment (if brought)
- Climbing Bonus & summit bonus for climbing Sherpa (if your used Sherpa), Tips for Base Camp Staff
- All not mentioned in cost include part
2nd Highest Mountain in Annapurna Range